Video not working?
Coping with the demands of parenting isn’t always easy. Parents today face a complex set of challenges that come with busy schedules, balancing work with family, and being part of 24/7 digitally-connected generation that makes it almost impossible to unplug and take a deep breath. Parents often deal with stress that can lead to burnout and depression….while we can’t put more hours back in their day, we can provide some simple tips that help tackle some of the daily challenges.
- Adjust routines
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier
- Avoid overscheduling – know your family’s limits and be realistic
- Take a walk – even light exercise each day makes a difference
- Don’t deal with finances or work issues in the evening hours
- Reduce caffeine or switch to caffeine-free
- Learn to say “no”
- Sleep Better – we spend a third of our lives in bed, and sleep is so important to our daily functioning…invest in good pillows and high quality sheets, and even an herbal deep sleep syrum can work wonders.
- Be okay with good enough – perfection isn’t required. Whether it’s signing up for a carpool (reducing your daily driving), getting a dog walker or hiring a once-monthly cleaning service for the big cleaning jobs…or just cutting some corners in the kitchen…these time and sanity-savers put precious minutes back in the day
- Eat healthy – a healthy diet restores energy and helps the mind focus. Lots of Vitamin B and C…and protein. And switch to green tea as a replacement for coffee.
- Listen to music – at home or on the go…but not too loud.
- Laughter – reduces the level of stress hormones like cortisol, adrenaline and dopamine. It also increases the level of health-enhancing hormones like endorphins, and neurotransmitters. Grab a funny book, board-games or DVD set and carve out some time to unwind.
- Don’t rely on your memory, write things down. A journal, fridge notepad or whiteboard, or using a bberry/phone with reminders.