After three weeks at the Top of the list, The Butler finally slipped to #2 with the weekend’s only new, major release, Riddick, taking #1.
Technically, if you just look at last weekend’s three day total (Friday – Sunday), One Direction: This is Us, was #1. However, with the Labor Day holiday extending that weekend a day, Lee Daniels’ The Butler ended the holiday back at the top, which is why we say that it wasn’t until this past weekend’s release of Riddick that The Butler dropped to 2nd.
Speaking of One Direction: This is Us, the concert movie dived down the list and ended up in 6th place in it’s second weekend. That’s nearly a 75% drop, which is pretty bad.
Here are The Top 10 for the weekend of September 6 – 8, 2013:
1. Riddick ($18,673,000)
2. Lee Daniels’ The Butler ($8,900,000)
3. Instructions Not Included ($8,100,000)
4. We’re the Millers ($7,925,000)
5. Planes ($4,274,000)
6. One Direction: This is Us ($4,100,000)
7. Elysium ($3,100,000)
8. Blue Jasmine ($2,688,000)
9. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters ($2,500,000)
10. The World’s End ($2,302,000)
New Movies in bold.
Figures from Box Office Mojo
Follow me on Twitter, , for more movie news.