Marvel’s Thor held onto the top spot for a second weekend in a row with another $34.5 million added to Odin’s vault. That $34.5 million represents a nearly 50% drop from the opening weekend haul and, while that’s not good, it was better than people expected. Thor will likely shuffle off to Valhalla this weekend as the pirates are bound to sale into the top spot when On Stranger Tides opens.
Second place went to Bridesmaids ($24.4 million), another wedding movie (the third this month) that proves women can do fart jokes and be just as funny as guys. I’m not a fan of wedding movies but I have to admit, this one looks like it could be funny and I’ll probably add it to my Netflix Que. Fast Five finished third with $19.5 million and Priest came in a disappointing fourth place earning $14.5 million. Priest, a dour-looking, vampire flick looks like my type of movie but I can wait for the home release on this one also. Rounding out the top 5, we have Rio with $8 million.
Here is the top 10 for the weekend:
1. Thor (Paramount) $34.5 M
2. Bridesmaids (Universal) $24.4 M
3. Fast Five (Universal) $19.5 M
4. Priest (Sony/ScreenGems) $14.5 M
5. Rio (Fox) $8 M
6. Jumping the Broom (TriStar) $7.3 M
7. Something Borrowed (Warner Bros) $7 M
8. Water for Elephants (Fox) $4.1 M
9. Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family (Lionsgate) $2.2 M
10. Soul Surfer (TriStar) $1.8 M