The Devil Inside scared up an impressive $34.5 million in it’s opening weekend and easily claimed the number one spot at the box office. That’s the third-highest January opening ever behind Cloverfield ($40.1 million) and the Star Wars (Special Edition) re-release ($35.9 million). MI4: Ghost Protocol continues to perform well and took in another $20.5 million dollars over the weekend. MI4 has now earned $170.2 million and could become the highest grossing movie in the franchise. That title is currently held by MI2, which earned $215.4 million.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows continues to do well with another $14.1 million and the third spot at the box office. The Holmes sequel has made $157.4 million and is approaching the gross earnings of the first movie. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, earned $11.3 million and took the fourth spot while Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked rounded out the top five with another $9.5 million.
Here is the top 10 for the weekend of January 6 – 8, 2012:
1. The Devil Inside ($34,500,000)
2. Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol ($20,500,000)
3. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows ($14,055,000)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ($11,300,000)
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked ($9,500,000)
6. War Horse ($8,603,000)
7. We Bought a Zoo ($8,450,000)
8. The Adventures of Tintin ($6,600,000)
9. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy ($5,767,000)
10. New Year’s Eve ($3,265,000)