The Avengers continued to smash records and make Hollywood history in it’s second weekend of release. The super-movie earned an estimated $103.2 million this past weekend, which is the best second weekend ever and the first movie to earn $100 million (domestically)in its second weekend. The Avengers is also the first movie to hit $300 million in just nine days. It took Avatar a whole 10 days to hit that record. Lets compare The Avengers to the year’s other huge hit, The Hunger Games, which has remained in the top 5 for it’s entire run. To date, The Hunger Games has earned $386.9 million in eight weeks while The Avengers has earned an estimated $373.2 million in just two weeks. Wow!
Setting some less impressive records was Dark Shadows. The latest Tim Burton, Johnny Depp film earned an estimated $28.8 million, which is way off of the pair’s recent collaborations including Alice in Wonderland’s $116.1 million and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’s $56.2 million.
Here is the Top 10 for the weekend of May 11 – 13, 2012:
1. Marvel’s The Avengers ($103,163,000)
2. Dark Shadows ($28,805,000)
3. Think Like a Man ($6,300,000)
4. The Hunger Games ($4,400,000) 8
5. The Lucky One ($4,055,000)
6. The Pirates! Band of Misfits ($3,200,000)
7. The Five-Year Engagement ($3,100,000)
8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel ($2,650,000)
9. Chimpanzee ($1,624,000)
10. Girl in Progress ($1,350,000)