Theaters pulled back the curtains and audiences flocked to Oz The Great and Powerful, giving the movie the top spot on the list with $80.28 million. That’s the highest opening yet this year, the third-highest opening ever for March and the fifth-highest ever during the pre-Summer months.
Last week’s #1 movie, Jack the Giant Slayer, dropped down the beanstalk to #2. The movie has now earned a total of $43.8 million, which is nowhere near the $195 million it cost to make. Identity Thief is still doing well in it’s 5th weekend at theaters and remained in the top 3 with another $6.3 million.
Here is the Top 10 for the weekend of March 8 – 10, 2013:
1. Oz The Great and Powerful ($80,278,000)
2. Jack the Giant Slayer ($10,020,000)
3. Identity Thief ($6,319,000)
4. Dead Man Down ($5,350,000)
5. Snitch ($5,100,000)
6. 21 and Over ($5,056,000)
7. Safe Haven ($3,800,000)
8. Silver Linings Playbook ($3,745,000)
9. Escape From Planet Earth ($3,207,000)
10. The Last Exorcism Part II ($3,120,000)
New Movies in bold.
Figures from Box Office Mojo
Follow me on Twitter for more movie news @JeffMMcKinney