$52.7 million might sound like a lot of money to you and me but by Hollywood summer standards, it ain’t great. That’s the opening weekend take for Green Lantern, which managed to grab the number one slot but did so with less than X-Men: First Class ($55.1 million) and Thor ($65.7 million).
My hard-earned dollars are in that $52.7 million and my super brief review of the movie is there was too much pointless talk and not enough pointfull (is that a word?) action. Time To Play’s family film critic, Cynthia Fuchs, has a full review of the movie, with real words.
Here is the top ten grossing movies for the weekend of June 17 – 19, 2011:
1. Green Lantern ($52,685,000)
2. Super 8 ($21,250,000)
3. Mr. Popper’s Penguins ($18,200,000)
4. X-Men: First Class ($11,500,000)
5. The Hangover Part II ($9,635,000)
6. Kung Fu Panda 2 ($8,700,000)
7. Bridesmaids ($7,487,000)
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides ($6,236,000)
9. Midnight in Paris ($5,237,000)
10. Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer ($2,241,000)