The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey set a new opening weekend record for December with $84.6 million earned in it’s opening weekend. The Hobbit accounted for more than half of all the money spent on movies over the weekend but people are still heading out to see a few noteworthy movies from weeks past. Rise of the Guardians held onto the number two spot with another $7.14 million and Lincoln took in another $7.03 million, earning it’s third place finish.
Here is The Top 10 for the weekend of December 14 – 16, 2012:
1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ($84,617,303)
2. Rise of the Guardians ($7,143,445)
3. Lincoln ($7,033,132)
4. Skyfall ($6,555,732)
5. Life of Pi ($5,413,066)
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 ($5,136,074)
7. Wreck-It Ralph ($3,216,043)
8. Playing for Keeps ($3,146,443)
9. Red Dawn ($2,408,882)
10. Silver Linings Playbook ($2,109,274)
New Movies in bold.
Figures from Box Office Mojo
Follow me on Twitter for more movie news @JeffMMcKinney