With Halloween approaching, movie-goers were in the mood for something spooky and they flocked to Paranormal Activity 3 like Michael Meyers to a teenage babysitter’s convention. The third installment in the docu-horror series scared up $52.6 million and took the number one spot at the box office.
The box office results for three other newcomers were scary for all the wrong reasons, namely that the movies bombed. The Three Musketeers didn’t even open in the top three, while Johnny English Reborn opened in 8th and The Mighty Macs failed to crack the top 10.
Here are the top 10 for the weekend of October 21-23, 2011
1. Paranormal Activity 3 (Par., $52,568,183)
2. Real Steel (BV, $10,824,512)
3. Footloose (Par., $10,351,207)
4. The Three Musketeers (Sum., $8,674,452)
5. The Ides of March (Sony, $4,853,051)
6. Dolphin Tale (WB, $4,217,260)
7. Moneyball (Sony, $3,981,852)
8. Johnny English Reborn (Uni., $3,833,300)
9. The Thing (Uni., $3,069,875)
10. 50/50 (Sum., $2,835,208)