Getting little ones to bed often proves very challenging, particularly for new parents. But lack of sleep isn’t good for babies—or parents. Setting up a proper bedtime routine is essential for setting the stage for regular sleep for a child—and preserving the health and sanity of parents. Whether you are sleep training an infant or reinforcing healthy sleep habits for toddlers, consider adding a night sleep soother to create a consistent, calming environment for this daily snoozing ritual.
A few of our favorites are snazzy to look at and easy to take along if you’re traveling.
1. Super Max the Turtle from Cloud b: Super Max the Turtle is an all-plastic starry night turtle that projects three color cycles onto the ceiling or wall. But just as wonderful as this product is the story behind it. It was inspired by a real little boy named Max, who struggled to rest during his lengthy hospital stays during his battle with brain cancer. His mom bought him the original Cloud b Starry Night Turtle, which helped soothe his bedtime fears. After hearing Max’s story, Cloud b teamed up with the MaxLove Project and the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles to create Super Max the Turtle. It uses the same sleep-aid technology as the original, but its all-plastic structure makes it safe and easy to clean for hospitals, camp, or travel.
2. Stay Asleep Buddies Hedgehog from Cloud b: How can you resist this sweet hedgehog? The Stay Asleep Buddies Hedgehog is an all-in-one soother, nightlight, and sleep trainer. It lulls kids to sleep with soft music and a warm light in its belly and also provides a gentle wake up with a brighter light and livelier music. If your child does stir at night, a motion sensor activates the sound to help him or her drift back to dreamland.
3. Woodland Friends Twinkling Light Crib Rail Soother from Fisher-Price: Here’s an interactive toy that engages baby in the go-to-sleep process. The Woodland Friends Twinkling Light Crib Rail Soother is a fabric soother that attaches safely to the crib and is activated by a gentle tap by baby. A soft nightlight, twinkling lights, and music create a soothing environment for a sweet slumber.
4. Lil Critters Soothing Starlight Hippo from VTech: For a creative bedtime routine, the Lil Critters Soothing Starlight Hippo provides calming interactions that prep little ones for sleep and provide a charming component for a bedtime ritual. The hippo reads nursery rhymes, plays music, and projects a calming starry sky on the ceiling and walls for a soothing snooze.
5. NUK natural sleep system from Nuk: Nuk’s natural sleep system offers a sleek simple design that is great for use for all ages, adults included. This light-and-sounds system has a soft light that can be adjusted to your preferred level of brightness. The timer can be set to 15-, 30-, or 45-minute cycles to lull you to sleep and a soft glowing sun with classical music wakes you up in the morning.