Despite five new releases on Christmas day, the top 2 movies, The Hobbit and Frozen, remained unchanged from where they were two weeks ago. Anchorman 2 managed to take #2 last week but Frozen took the spot back over the weekend.
Of the five new releases, which included a new movie from Justin Bieber (Believe) and a Robert DeNiro/Sylvester Stallone boxing comedy (Grudge Match), only three managed to crack the Top 10. The Wolf of Wall Street took #5 with $18.5 million, The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty secreted itself into 7th with $13.0 million, and 47 Ronin flopped with $9.9 million and #9 on the list.
Here is The Top 10 for the last weekend of 2013 (December 27-29):
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug ($29.8M)
2. Frozen ($28.8M)
3. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues ($20.2M)
4. American Hustle ($19.6M)
5. The Wolf of Wall Street ($18.5M)
6. Saving Mr. Banks ($14.0M)
7. The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty ($13.0M)
8. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire ($10.2M)
9. 47 Ronin ($9.9M)
10. Tyler Perry’s A Madea Christmas ($7.4M)
New Movies in bold.
Figures from Rotten Tomatoes.
Follow me on Twitter, , for more movie news.