Weekend Box Office: The Help Continues to Clean up at Box Office
I’m taking a break from bailing out the water in my basement (thanks Irene) to check on the weekend box office report. Obviously, the hurricane (and later tropic storm), prevented a lot of people from going to the movies over the weekend and the box office numbers show that. Of the movie-goers who did head to the theaters, their number one pick was The Help, which took the top spot again. The Help has now earned an estimated $96.6 million in 19 days.
Three new movies debuted this weekend – action flick Colombiana, spooky horror Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, and touching comedy(?) Our Idiot Brother. Of these three, Colombiana, which stars Zoe Saldana (Star Trek, Avatar) performed the best with an estimated $10.3 million and the #2 spot on the list. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark followed in third place and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes remained in the top 5 coming in fourth and adding another $8.65 million dollars to it’s total take. The rising apes have now earned a total of $148,456,000.
Here is the top 10 for the weekend of August 26 – 28, 2011:
1. The Help (BV, $14,333,000)
2. Colombiana (TriS, $10,300,000)
3. Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (FD, $8,689,000)
4. Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Fox, $8,650,000)
5. Our Idiot Brother (Wein., $6,588,000)
6. Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (W/Dim., $5,727,000)
7. The Smurfs (Sony, $4,800,000)
8. Conan the Barbarian (LGF, $3,100,000)
9. Fright Night (BV, $3,029,000)
10. Crazy, Stupid, Love. (WB, $2,905,000)