The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, the third and final instalment in The Hobbit trilogy, claimed the #1 spot on the box office list for a third weekend in a row. The movie took in another $21.9 million, and has now earned $220.8 million.
Into the Woods, held onto the #2 spot for its second weekend out with $19.1 million. The Disney musical has now earned $91.2 million. Unbroken came in a close third with $18.4 million, and The Woman in Black 2 Angel of Death, the only new release in the Top 10, debuted in #4 with $15.1 million. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb rounded out the Top 5 with another $14.4 million earned.
Here is The Top 10 for the weekend of January 2 – 4, 2014:
1. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies ($21.9M)
2. Into the Woods ($19.1M)
3. Unbroken ($18.4M)
4. The Woman in Black 2 Angel of Death ($15.1M)
5. Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb ($14.4M)
6. Annie ($11.4M)
7. The Imitation Game ($8.1M)
8. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 ($7.7M)
9. The Gambler ($6.3M)
10. Big Hero 6 ($4.8M)
New Movies in bold. Figures from Rotten Tomatoes.
Follow Jeff on Twitter, , for more movie news.