The Play Forum is a collection of voices from parents and people in the toy and children’s entertainment industries. Read what’s on their minds, and join the conversation.
New Year’s Eve is always a fun night for adults but the fun doesn’t have to stop when you have kids. Over the years planning a fun New Year’s Eve has been challenging, especially when the kids were toddlers-an age where they wouldn’t last until midnight, and loud noise or music would keep them up or wake them up.
What are parents to do for one of the biggest celebrations of the year? Some of my friends always celebrate with their children; others enjoy an adult-only night out while the little ones sleep soundly at home as midnight strikes. In the past, we’ve done a variety of things including attending parties where babysitters were hired to watch kids to leaving the kids at home with a sitter. We have even celebrated the night before or on New Year’s Day to save on babysitter costs as some sitters typically charge a hefty premium for this big night.
But as the kids get older, we’ve made it a point to include them in our plans. Over the years we’ve been pretty creative with our ideas, helping to make sure everyone has a great time.
Here are six tips to making your New Year’s Eve family-friendly and fun for everyone:
1. Have your own party at home and invite your friends with children.
2. Include a kid-friendly toast with apple juice, clear soda, or sparkling cider.
3. Going to a party or having one at your place? Create a kid-friendly zone in the house. Have board games and card games ready for the kids. The children may have so much fun they won’t want to join you for the midnight countdown.
4. If you’re going to a friend’s house, let the kids wear their favorite holiday pajamas. When you get home you won’t have to worry about changing them out of their party clothes.
5. Play adult- and kid-friendly games like Charades or Pictionary.
6. Have a family dance-off or make it a Karaoke night.
What are some of the ways that you celebrate New Year’s with your children?
Action Figures, Activity Toys, App Accessories for Kids, App Toys, Arts & Crafts, Back to School, English-Spanish Bilingual Toys, Birthday Party Activities, Boys Toys, Collectible Toys, Construction Toys, Dolls, Dress Up Toys, Eco-Friendly Toys, Educational Toys, Games, Girls Toys, Goody Bags Items, Kids' Rooms, Music Toys, Outdoor Toys, Pool Toys, Pop Culture & Collectibles, Preschool Toys, Puppets, Puzzles, Radio Control Toys, Riding Toys, Role Play Toys, Science Toys, Seasonal Toys, Special Needs, Sports Toys, Stuffed Animals, Tech Toys, Toy Cars, Toy Trains, Toy Trucks, Travel Toys, Water Toys
The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Frozen, Godzilla, Guardians of the Galaxy, How to Train Your Dragon 2, Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return, Maleficent, Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Muppets Most Wanted, Planes: Fire And Rescue, Rio 2, RoboCop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers: Age of Extinction
© aNb Media 2008 – 2014