In completely unsurprising news, Thor: The Dark World dominated the box office in it’s opening weekend. The Thor sequel opened to an estimated $86.1 million, which is a big improvement on the first Thor’s $65.7 million opening. The movie is getting great word-of-mouth reviews and with no competition next weekend, it should continue to perform well until The Hunger Games: Catching Fire arrives. Catching Fire will once again pit the Hemsworth brothers (Thor is played by Chris Hemsworth and Liam plays Gale Hawthorne) against each other at the box office.
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa held onto 2nd place while Free Birds fluttered to 3rd and Last Vegas landed at 4th. Last week’s #1 movie, Ender’s Game, plummeted 62% to 5th place. The movie is now looking as if it will beat After Earth for the title of biggest Sci-Fi bomb of the year.
Here is The Top 10 for the weekend of November 8 – 10, 2013:
1. Thor: The Dark World (BV $86,109,000)
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Par. $11,300,000)
3. Free Birds (Rela. $11,180,000)
4. Last Vegas (CBS $11,100,000)
5 1 Ender’s Game (LG/S $10,250,000) -62.1%
6. Gravity (WB $8,405,000)
7. 12 Years a Slave (FoxS $6,600,000)
8. Captain Phillips (Sony $5,800,000)
9. About Time (Uni. $5,172,000)
10. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Sony $2,800,000)
New Movies in bold.
Figures from Box Office Mojo
Follow me on Twitter, @JeffMMcKinney, for more movie news.