Despite how terrible it looks, Hotel Transylvania had a record-breaking opening weekend with an estimated $43 million and the highest September opening ever. It’s also Sony Animation’s best opening and Adam Sandler’s second-highest opening behind The Longest Yard (2005/$47.6 million). You can read Time To Play Mag’s review of Hotel Transylvania now by clicking here.
In more good news for Sony, Looper (a Sony/TriStar release), opened in second place with an estimated $21.2 million.
There were two other new releases over the weekend. Pitch Perfect, which I think is a comedy, performed well and landed in 6th with $5.2 million while Won’t Back Down bombed with just $2.7 million and the last spot on the top 10 list.
Here is The Top 10 for the weekend of September 28 – 30, 2012:
1. Hotel Transylvania ($43,000,000)
2. Looper ($21,200,000)
3. End of Watch ($8,000,000)
4. Trouble with the Curve ($7,530,000)
5. House at the End of The Street ($7,154,000)
6. Pitch Perfect ($5,200,000)
7. Finding Nemo 3D ($4,066,000)
8. Resident Evil: Retribution ($3,000,000)
9. The Master ($2,745,000)
10. Won’t Back Down ($2,700,000)
Hey, are you on Twitter? So am I! Lets follow each other, @JeffMMcKinney